Friday, May 10, 2013 | By: Meety

Of Appraisal and Growth

Its that time of the year in the corporate world when you strive hard to prove that you are the best thing that has ever happened to the company. The time where you are in a rush to complete pending training's, brown bag sessions, white paper and blah blah blah.. The one's who were hardly seen at work suddenly seem to appear at the desk for long hours. There were even people ...u know cute guys.. that I haven't ever seen before..suddenly pop up from nowhere..... Ah! treat to the eyes....how I wish this period lasts ;-)

I look around and see eyeballs hanging out of panic-struck faces mechanically staring at their monitors lost in state of  trance oblivious of their surroundings. Seeing them I am reminded of the calm and composed standing yogis lost in a trance, emanating an aura of serenity. Given a choice I would prefer the latter state of trance to the former. Okies so back to where we were.. Ah yes... the appraisal time.

So there I was packing my bags all set to leave for the day when our dear Mr P (famously known as Blame Master)walks in with a long face.

Mr P : Hey, I see you've packed
Me    : Yeah, I see you haven't
Mr P : Ah! yah ...man am so screwed.. I really don't know what to do.. This appraisals am really gonna get screwed
Me   : Oh thats bad (with an Astonished expression!!!)  why wat happened.... you didn't do well last year??
Mr P : Ah! no not really... you know I do my things well... but the problem here is ...there are people called Career Counselors.. are you aware of it?
Me : Yeah of course I know (what?? you think I work for a different organization?)
Mr P : Well.. You know you are lucky. Your CC's, they  guide you and set the path for your career growth
Me : That's exactly what they are expected to do.
Mr P : Yeah but you know what?? Of all the people I ended up with a career counselor who never helped me.. All these days while others had their counselors shaping up their career I was struggling all alone not knowing what to do.
Me : But then you should've contacted him/her or maybe consulted our manager, he would've helped
Mr P : Not it doesn't work that way
Me : ( Huh! really??)
Mr P : Its all in the hands of the counselor and just because of that man, my growth is stunted. I am stuck here in the same place; While all the useless people grows without doing anything, I just get stuck for not having a proper counselor .....................  .................. ............................ ...................... ..................
Sigma... hey Sigma.... are you listening??
Me : Well to be frank, I really don't think a CC matters .. I mean really.. my CC has not bothered to get in touch with me ever.. neither has he acknowledged my pings each time I tried to contact him...
Mr P : OMG!!! Oh you poor girl... I really am worried for you now.. your career is doomed.. no matter what you do within the project, its not gonna do you any good.. how will you grow???
Me : Don't worry bout my growth pal,as I am growing and I will continue to grow ;-)
Mr P : Bye (With a puzzled expression)

I picked up my bag and walked towards the exit...

Of course I will grow.. with all that new recipes that I've been trying. All the weekend escapades with friends and impromptu lunches with BFF... I had to grow! He just doesn't get the point. Nobody gets the point! They ponder over things which are anyways not gonna improve. Why waste your today thinking about what happened in the past and whats going to happen in the future? Don't they ever realize that happiness is a choice. You either choose to be happy with what you have or you choose to be unhappy over that which would anyways not be yours.





3 Thought(s):

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan said...

Amen to that last paragraph :D You can neither change the past nor anticipate the future... so just do your best in the present and see where it takes us - look to enjoy the entire journey, not just the destination.

And yes, these silly people dont realise how easy it is for some of us to 'grow' in life... we dont need career counselors.. just a good restaurant and a well stocked kitchen :D

Pink Mango Tree said...

Sigma baba... adipoli. so, when is our next impromptu lunch session? i don't think we need to wait for a reason. :) :)

Unknown said...

Here's some growth you can ponder:

'the more you shall honor Me,
the more I shall bless you'
-the Infant Jesus of Prague

Jesus, have mercy on our souls.